The Timaru South Site officially opened in 1881 as a side school of Timaru main. The opening roll was 150 and it became known as Timaru South School in 1896. The school became a contributing school in 1974 with the opening of Watlington Intermediate. In 2005 the school once again became a full primary school and has the challenge of being one of just a few split site schools in New Zealand as the result of a review of schools in South Canterbury.
The buildings are in excellent condition and provide attractive, modern facilities for students and staff. The hall provides an excellent indoor facility for a range of activities and is serviced by excellent audio-visual equipment. An expansive library is well resourced and a 12m pool is available for junior students. Students from Years 4-8 attend swimming lessons at TBHS. A large grass playing area and adjacent adventure playground as well as three hardcourt areas provide sufficient opportunities for student play. The grounds are attractive, well laid out and totally adequate for the needs of the students.
A new Play-Perform-View outdoor space is scheduled for completion in February 2014. This development provides an ideal environment for outdoor learning and creative play. It will be a fantastic addition to this campus.
6 media items
The Pareora East Site has a proud history of delivering quality learning to the students of the village of Pareora and those from surrounding areas. The school is in good repair with four teaching spaces, one of which is used for a range of school wide community activities such as the community garden project.
The campus has a well-resourced multi-purpose library and grounds, which provide the students and staff with appropriate areas to carry out learning outside the classroom. Included is a swimming pool, which is used by the families in the summer holidays.
Both sites have a proud history of parent support with active Home and School committees at each campus and equal representation on the BOT. There is a staff of twelve full time teachers, with additional part time teachers and support staff. The school works with a number of personnel and local agencies providing learning support and pastoral care for individual students and families. These include Group Special Education, a Speech Therapist, Resource Teachers Learning and Behaviour, Social Worker in Schools, Resource Teacher of Literacy and the Public Health Nurse.
There is a sound IT infrastructure servicing each campus with an Apple Mac Mini Server and Ruckus Wireless system recently installed. All switches and data cabling will be replaced in November 2012 at each campus and ultra Fast Broadband will soon become avai;able at the Timaru campus via the Ministry of Education developed Network for Learning (N4L). Each classroom has 3 desktop imac computers and 8 ipod touch devices for classroom use. 35 Apple laptops are also available for student use. All classrooms have an Activeboard or Mimio for interactive activities. Students are able to bring personal IT devices to school to support their learning. Approximately 40 students currently utilize this facility.
A number of strategies and programmes have been implemented to support students in managing their own behaviour and learning. These include WITS, Kiwi Can, Restorative Practice and Circle Time. The school is currently completing the third year in the Positive Behaviour for Learning project.